Bucket List: November 2017

Ah, November. The birthday month. 2017 meant I was turning the big 3-0. It also meant I had 4 more foods to cook before the 24th of the month in addition to cooking Thanksgiving dinner. At the start of November my 30 Foods to Cook Before 30 list still had Tortillas, Challah, Ceviche, and Souffle.

I was determined to actually finish them all. First off the list was tortillas. I did not have a tortilla press so I used two sheets of parchment and cookie trays to press out my tortillas. The flavor of fresh corn tortillas far surpassed the store bought and I can safely say that I will invest in a tortilla press later in life.

They were absolutely a bit too thick, but they were so good. Little Lark liked them too.

Next up, I made Challah for my works Thanksgiving lunch. Now, I have made challah before, but it was in Hebrew pre-school so I am positive I had a lot of assistance. This one I did 100% on my own. 

Look at that pretty dough!


A 6-Strand braid may have been slightly too ambitious for my first go at this. It definitely got a bit wonky. The end product was gorgeous though:


I have to say even with the wonky braid technique it is a gorgeous loaf of challah. So golden and shiny!

On Thanksgiving, I made ceviche for lunch, knowing full well only myself and Little Lark would be trying it. Let me start by saying I got this Ahi Tuna on Jet before they discontinued fresh delivery to my area and it was beautiful! Please bring fresh delivery back to me Jet! 
How pretty is that? The recipe I use was for a Margarita inspired Ceviche that included tequila! I found the recipe on Cookin Canuck's blog here. It had so many things I love... lime, cilantro, avocado, jalapeno, and of course tequila. All mixed together here:

In to the fridge it went to get nice and chilly and infuse the tuna full of flavor. And ta-da! 
Gorgeous! It was a nice light and refreshing brunch before the marathon eating that was two Thanksgiving Dinners in one day. 

And last but not least, late that Thanksgiving evening I attempted to make a chocolate espresso souffle. 

Beautiful batter, thorughly coated ramekins, and crushing defeat. 

Deflated Souffle. It tasted fine. It looked very sad. Next time I'll attempt a cheese souffle since that is on my 44 French Meals list. 

And with that I had successfully finished my 30 Foods to Cook Before 30 list, in it's entirety, just in the nick of time! Just a few hours before I turned 30! 

I did do one more thing in November. I finally attended a Colts game! I was able to buy very decent seats during a pre-sale through my employer. I may have mentioned this before, but my partner and I share a birthday. So, I got the tickets as our birthday gift. We also attended a pre-game brunch at Prime 47 which offered us shuttle service for free to and from the game. Plus bottomless drinks! 

Unexpectedly the roof for Lucas Oil was open that chilly November day, so we spent the first part of game blinded by the sun. Luckily I had worn a heavy sweater so was only mildly uncomfortable. The Colts lost, it hasn't been a great season, but I loved being able to go to a game! 

And our blinded by the sun selfie. Note to self, always bring sunglasses and gloves to Lucas Oil just in case. Also...check if the roof is going to be open before you leave the house. I didn't know that was a thing you could do until we were already there. 

xoxo
Poison Megz

Comments

Popular Posts