June Bucket List: Plant A Tree + Summer Items

June was a busy month for my bucket list mission.  I completed several items off of my summer list as well as one off of my main list.  First up I planted a tree, two trees technically but the 2nd was not planted until July 1st.  The first tree that was planted was a dwarf fruit cocktail tree. It will eventually grow 6 total varieties of stone fruit including peach, plum, apricot, and nectarine.  It's just a twig with roots now but I am very excited to watch it grow.  Here is my mini monster with our twig the day we planted it.
Photo by Poison Megz

It does not look like much now but this little tree is very special to me.  It's a long commitment and I am happy to have planted it with my partner and the mini monster.  As of yesterday it already has some new growth on it too!
Photo by Poison Megz

Tiny little green shoots! Huzzah! In less than a week I was already able to watch our tree grow.  The second tree we planted will live inside during the cold months and was planted in a container.  It is a 3-in-1 dwarf citrus tree that will produce lemons, oranges, and tangerines.  This one is a bit more substantial already!
Photo by Poison Megz

Now for what was accomplished off of the summer bucket list!

There has been a lot of gardening this year and in June I was able to start an herb garden.  I chose to put all my herbs in pots on the porch so they were easy to access from the house.  My little herb garden contains basil, thyme, dill, cilantro, rosemary, chervil, oregano, parsley and chives.  I already have a few little sprouts! Meet my baby basil sprouts! 
Photo by Poison Megz

I also made beer can chicken.  I used a local-ish beer.  Tin Man Brewing Company's Rosenweiss.  It was delicious!  So moist and flavorful.  I was really proud of myself for pulling every step of it off myself, from yanking the giblets out, to rubbing the seasoned butter under the skin, to roasting it perfectly.  The only thing I had help with was putting it in the oven and taking it out.  This was purely because of my high levels of klutziness and how sad it would have been to lose the chicken to the floor.  Here is the before shot as it was getting ready to go in the oven.
Photo by Poison Megz

What a beautiful bird! you know when something looks and smells delicious before it starts cooking that it is going to be oh so tasty.  And now for the glorious after photo!
Photo by Poison Megz

Praise be to the mighty chicken G-d!  Look at that crispy skin!  So crispy that it released the oranges from their prison!  It was good. I mean it was really good.  Chicken can be seriously boring and sad.  This chicken was happy and fun.  And moist, so moist.  The pan however has gone through three or four scrub sessions and still will not come clean.  So maybe put some tinfoil down if you are going to do this in the oven like I did.  Go make a beer can chicken right meow.  Bonus tip! A tall can will hold your chicken up better.

Now I did also brew my own ginger beer, and it used brewer's yeast.  I'm not counting that as brewing my own beer for this list BUT I will be posting that experience in the near future as well.  Keep an eye out for further kombucha attempts as well.  

Have you crossed anything off your bucket list lately?  Any ideas for mine? Leave me a comment!  I am always searching for a new experience.

Until next time my dears remember to Live Life Decadently!
xoxo
Poison Megz


Comments

Popular Posts