Recipe: Coffee and Pilpelchuma Pot Roast

I love food. My relationship with food has been a bit of a roller coaster, but that's where I am at now, loving food.  I have always loved to cook and not-so-secretly wished I would have gone to culinary school instead of regular college.  Despite my love of food and cooking, I spent several years relying on meals I could make in a microwave simply because I hated to cook a big meal only for myself. I started to cook more once my son was eating solid foods, but more for him than for myself. Since moving in with my partner I've been fortunate to add 3 more hungry mouths to feed to my family.  Now I am able to cook a big meal and very rarely have anything left over.  I often start with a recipe I find online and twist it to my own interpretation or just wing it entirely, but I very rarely write down what I have done so that I am able to recreate it.  As soon as I decided to make this roast I knew it would be the perfect first recipe to call my own and publish here (Hello bucket list item being checked off!).  The roast will fall apart at the end of cooking, so it should not take much slicing, if any to portion out.  We were able to just scoop out what we wanted with slotted spoon and did not need a knife at all.  The spice rub uses coffee and a Pipelchuma spice blend as the primary flavors.  It has a great balance of savory and spice with a hint of sweetness to it.  I wish I had thought ahead to take more photos, but I do have a few.

Here is the roast with the spice rub getting seared:
Photo by Poison Megz

Here is the seared roast in the slow cooker:
Photo by Poison Megz

Here is how I ate my serving, topped with some of the shallots and garlic from the bottom of the slow cooker.  My serving sort of looks like my home state of Indiana, which amused me greatly:
Photo by Poison Megz


Coffee and Pipelchuma Pot Roast

Ingredients:
2 to 3 lb Beef Chuck Roast
3/4 cup beef broth
1 to 2 shallots (depending on your taste)
4 cloves garlic (adjust to your taste)
1 TBSP oil of your choice

Spice rub:
2 TBSP Ground Coffee
1.5 TBSP Pilpelchuma Seasoning Blend*
½ Tsp cinnamon
1.5 Tsp Unsweetened cocoa
1 Tsp salt

Instructions:

1.     Allow roast to come to room temp while you do your prep.

2.    If your coffee is not finely ground, then place the 2 TBSP of ground coffee in to a coffee/spice grinder, food processor, blender, whatever you have and grind it until it is close to a powder.  If the coffee is ground coarsely you can still use it, but crunchy bits of coffee may be off-putting to some people while eating the roast.  Use your best judgment here really.

3.     Mix the ingredients for the spice rub together in a small bowl until well-blended.

4.     Pat your roast to remove excess moisture.

5.     Rub the spice blend on all sides of the roast.  Make sure you really press the rub in to the meat so it sticks. Set aside while you finish prep.

6.     Slice the shallot and set in the bottom of your slow-cooker.

7.     Slice the garlic cloves as thinly as you can.

8.     Heat the 1 TBSP of oil in a skillet over medium heat (I used olive oil, but use whatever you prefer.)

9.      Add the garlic to the oil and sauté until golden brown.

10.   Remove the garlic, but leave the garlic infused oil in the skillet.

11.   Place garlic in the bottom of the slow-cooker with the shallot.

12.  Gently place your roast in to the skillet to sear the spices in. This should take about 2-3 minutes per side.  You want a nice sear, but you do not want to burn the spices.

13.   Place seared roast in to the slow-cooker.

14.   Pour beef broth on top of roast. Cover.

15.   Cook on low for 8 hours.




*The Pilpelchuma spice blend I used came from Trader Joes and is a Libyan Jewish spice blend or hot sauce. It can also be spelled Filfel Chuma and contains Chili, Garlic, Cayenne Pepper, Paprika, Cumin, and Caraway*

This is the spice tower from Trader Joe's that contained the Pilpelchuma:
Photo by Poison Megz



Let me know if you try this and what you think!  It disappeared pretty quickly here. If you use a different spice blend in place of the Pilpelchuma let me know how that turns out as well please.

xoxo
Poison Megz

Comments

Popular Posts